Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Full Curriculum and Lessons
The SIFT method of media literacy and evaluation is offered as a set of lessons and activities called Check, Please.
"In this course, we show you how to fact and source-check in five easy lessons, taking about 30 minutes apiece. The entire online curriculum is two and a half to three hours"
To find lessons, click here
Lesson 1: Introduction to SIFT
- Fakeout! Test your "fake news" detection skills with this game.
- SIFT Find out what SIFT stands for and how to use it.
- The Miseducation of Dylann Roof How Google search algorithms reinforce your thinking (confirmation bias) by showing results similar to those you have viewed in the past.
Lesson 2: Investigate the Source
- Just Add Wikipedia (or Media/Bias Fact Check) Be a source detective.
- Sifting: Alexa Enabled Toilet? What have you learned so far?
- Sifting: Alexa Enabled Toilet Discussion How did you do?
- Wikipedia When does it make sense to use and how?
- Alligator prompt What do you think? Is this story true?
- Alligator discussion How did you do?
- Volcano plane prompt Is this a reliable source? How do you know?
- Volcano plane discussion How did you do?
Lesson 3: Further Investigation
- MH17 prompt What do you think?
- MH17 discussion Did you choose the least biased source?
- Government Manipulation of Online Media
- Expertise and Reputation
- Warming Claims prompt Is the author an expert?
- Warming Claims discussion How did you do?
- Smoke-Free prompt Who is the organization behind the information?
- Smoke-Free discussion How did you do?
Lesson 4: Find Trusted Coverage
- Quick checks for other reporting: Keanu Reeves
- Using Fact-Checks from News Search: Chick-Fil-A
- SIFTing UN Dance Protesting Nikki Haley prompt
- SIFTing UN Dance Protesting Nikki Haley discussion
- SIFTing ATM Rats prompt
- SIFTing ATM Rats discussion
- How to use Reverse Image Search
- SIFTing John Lennon's Murderer? prompt
- SIFTing John Lennon's Murderer? discussion
Lesson 5: Trace Claims, Quotes, and Media to Their Original Context
- Beer Tax prompt
- Beer Tax discussion
- Biggie and Cobain prompt
- Biggie and Cobain discussion
- Guns in School prompt
- Guns in School discussion
Conclusion to the 5 Lessons
Care what you Share!
Sites like "BreakYourOwnNews" allow anyone to create graphics like this one. Use your critical thinking skills learned in the SIFT lessons!